Boy, my science fiction reading has been lackluster this year

Boy howdy, 2016 has not been a good year for science fiction reading. Out of the 24 books I’ve read so far, only eight were sci-fi. That’s only three more than what I read last year.

The list:

Kris Longknife: Mutineer - Mike Shepherd
Fortune's Pawn - Rachel Bach
Legion of the Damned - William C. Dietz
The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde
Hunting Party - Elizabeth Moon
Sporting Chance - Elizabeth Moon
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Parable of the Sower - Octavia E. Butler

It’s not like I don’t have good sci-fi books to read; I have an entire bookcase of them! The local public library has some good ones too, but I’ve been unmotivated to read any of them beyond the eight I already have.

I've always been more of a fantasy reader since I became a serious reader back in 2011. No idea why given that I have always heavily favored science fiction in other media. I think it's just because I'm a very picky reader in general and that makes it more difficult to find sci-fi books that I want to read. I know that there are tons of books out there that are widely acclaimed and "must-reads" but if I'm not into the story, I can't even force myself to read them. Add to it reading slump I'm currently in and I don't think this year is going to end well for the sci-fi side of things.

What I think I might do is pull any science fiction from the shelves that piques my interest even a little, then go through each one until I find one that hooks my attention. On the plus side, I did pick up a number of books recently that look like they might be good reads, so there's hope if not for this year, then the next.

Comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts